I just noticed there’s a very murdery vibe in colour choice of the box and I like it. Let’s check the items in it starting from the book and going clockwise:
- Four Dead Queens. I already had this book in my list, ages ago, so it was easy to say yes to this box instead of Skip. I have to say I do prefer the normal cover rather than this one being red, I think the blue gives it a more “Cold” sombre effect that matches it better, but it’s still gorgeous.
- Underneath there’s a drawsting backpack with a lot of murdery vibes going on. I don’t really do drawstring backpacks, but I love the idea of it and this one is quite nice quality.
- The collectible pin which is gorgeous! It is the quadrants of the Four Dead Queens.
- Three Dark Crowns sticker, which is gorgoeus and now I don’t know where to stick it!
- A woodmark (I am still not super keen on them, they make me think it’ll break or something easily. ) and this one was very “meh” for me, even if the wolf is gorgeous.
- My favourite item! A ceramic travel mug (I have a soft spot for travel mugs) inspired by Neverngiht, which is just amazing.
- Sunai candle, there were apparently three scents to match the monsters types from This Savage Song.
- Four Dead Queens pencil, from publisher I think. Not much of an opinion, it’s a pencil, it’ll be used…
- And the theme card which also fits well the whole vibe of the box.
I liked the box in general but somehow wasn’t as wowed by it as I was by the one from last month. However, the mug makes me happy. I probably won’t keep the backpack but the rest of the things will be used (not the woodmark, please stop sending woodmarks! I do love Ink & Wonder designs but I am tired of woodmarks).
I know I’ve been quite “detailed” in my recent unboxings in general, mostly because I do spend a lot in them, and also because I have to decide which ones to keep, but also, experience. I’ve been buying book boxes since 2015-2016. I think my first one was the 3rd or 4th Owlcrate ever. I’ve seen book boxes come and go, and have seen them stay.
Anyway, the reason I derailed is that I really enjoyed this box and that was a good thing. So let’s do the unboxing starting from the book and going clockwise:
- Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto. Super gorgeous cover, and purple sprayed edges, plus I like the dark cover.
- Accio Books beanie. Probably my least favourite item of this box, but that’s mostly because I don’t wear beanies. But I can appreciate a cute one when I see it and this one is gorgeous.
- Zine and theme postcard, so pink/purple, so cute, I just loved this one so much more than the recent ones.
- An umbrella. It has pretty artwork, but just the fact that there’s a compact umbrella in the box made me squeal a little. I keep one in my work bag, one in my car, one in my usual bag, and it is always nice to get a handy compact one. Plus this one is SO gorgeous and unique, so less boring than just the black plain umbrella.
- Pixie Dust soap, smells nice and I am all pro soaps specially if they are from nice small independent companies, so love it.
- Owlcrate pin. I like pins, this has a Phoenix, not much to say here.
- Spirited Away keyring, with Haku! I loved this one, and also was happy to see a good keyring in it.
- A paperback copy of The Tea Dragon Society, which I have in hardback and have reviewed before, so also bonus. I ended up giving this away because I already own it but if I didn’t it’d be awesome!
So one of my favourite Owlcrate boxes recently. Just full of delightful goodies.
First Owlcrate of the year. An interesting start I’d say. (Just in case anyone wonders, this isn’t sponsored, I don’t have enough followers to be a box rep) Starting from the top left and going clockwise:
- A wall tapestry. This was one of the items that puzzled me the most. Most wall tapestries I have seen are big, kinda like “wrap myself in it” big. So that was my idea of what this may be. But it is the size of a tea towel and looks like one except the fabric is different. And well, I don’t buy it that this is what a wall tapestry is. This is a glorified tea towel that I can’t use as a tea towel because the fabric is all wrong (and that I’d absolutely utterly LOVE to use as a tea towel).
- A wooden bookmark/letter opener. Haven’t tried it yet, and I am not sure I will. It is Sting which is cool and I like it.
- The theme card.
- The Gilded Wolves, which was the book for this month and I am looking forward to reading it.
- Master of Death Socks. Remember my whole, they do high quality socks I really like? This pair doesn’t fit there. I mean they’re nice quality but look cheap and I am very tired of the same logo printed in everything. Book Boxes, please be creative! With SO many books out there, and with so many things in a book to choose from, and we keep getting the same logo/quote/thingy over and over. Just please, no!
- Owlcrate collector pin. Every box and their mother is doing some kind of monthly collector item to make sure you keep it up. Fairyloot had their bookmarks but those weren’t that awesome (plus the promise of something amazing coming if you collected them all was an empty one). Litjoy has the cards, which I like because they will eventually complete a full playing card set (the biggest problem is the actual deck/card is hard to read, but it is there). Then Fairyloot is now doing Tarot cards. Owlcrate had something going on beforehand that was monthly too, oh yes, a round pin, but now they’ve upgraded it. And I am not really into this whole collect them all if you get all our boxes. I mean, the pin is cool. Just that I don’t buy book boxes for them to try to hook me with a “collector” item to keep my subscription for forever.
- ADSOM pouch, which I like and is slightly different than the usual ones so plus points on this one.
- You can’t see it well, but a golden branch bracelet. I was so happy to receive it because I have a set of hair pins that match it perfectly (that I got in a different box).
- And finally, a luggage tag, which is one of the nicest ones I’ve had in a box, it is discreet enough but also unique, and I love that.
Well, looking back on my huge description, the summary is, I wish things were a little more creative. Not that I dislike it, mostly it is because I buy book boxes to make me smile, and yeah, this made me smile but also it made me go “but why?!” which takes a little away from that smile. Still, it is one of the “semi permanent” boxes I keep at the moment, so not bad.
(I was trying to make a pun, I am not good at them).
This is December’s Owlcrate. Owlcrate were my first subscription box back in the day (2015), and introduced me to the magic of ADSOM/Schwab. I did stop my subscription but last year (this is weird to write… it doesn’t feel like last year yet, or rather like this is a new year) I started it again, with the mindset of skipping the boxes I didn’t care about or that didn’t really catch my attention.
December’s theme sounded intriguing and I had had my eye on the book, so it was a good one to have. Usually I go in a circle, but this panoramic puzzle means I am starting from the left and finishing on the right:
- King of Fools sampler, this is an exclusive sampler for Owlcrate, and also, the book is the sequel for Ace of Shades. I wasn’t crazy about Daughter of the Burning City (it was one of the first “this is too predictable, I am not crazy about it” books I read) so this is one of those items I am a bit meh about. It also doesn’t really get me because I didn’t read Ace of Shades.
- Amber & Dusk by Lyra Selene. And it has an Owlcrate exclusive cover, which I find I like it more this way rather than the original. This comes signed and with an author letter.
- On top of the book is an “amber pendant necklace” (not real amber, and it is golden so for me it was more of a “trinket” item but I am sure someone else would find it cute).
- The zine with the theme artwork underneath the book.
- A Reading Planner (collaboration with Blue Star Press), which I have never really used one of them but I like this one quite a bit. It is pretty, in a spiral bound style which helps a lot to make the most of both sides of the pages. And it is very colourful and positive looking.
- The Crown’s Game inspired tree ornament by Juniper and Ivy Designs. It is very intricate and it went straight unto my Christmas tree.
- Theme postcard and badge.
- Caraval quote tote bag, by Stella Bookish Art. not particularly crazy about it, but I use tote bags for my shopping so won’t complain either.
- A Queen Levana inspired candle by Flick the Wick. The candle smells really delicious and the fandom is The Lunar Chronicles. This is probably one of my favourite items but I am partial to candles (if the scents work for me).
- A magnet with a Night Circus quote by Ink & Wonder Designs. Not crazy about it either.
All in all it was a nice box, there were items I liked a lot and the exclusive cover was one I liked more than the original, which is a plus. But on the other hand, I am a bit tired of seeing tote bags/cushions/quotes from Caraval in the same style or similar one. I know they choose fandoms that are “big” but I’d like to see smaller fandoms or just things that stick to the theme without being exclusively the same fandom every other box and their uncle/aunt has included already.
What would I’ve liked to see in this box? Maybe a card set and some “magic tricks” guide or maybe a small magic trick gimmick that made me feel like a magician? (Maybe a wand that brings flowers out?) It definitely would have made me smile a lot and probably laugh trying to master the trick and then trying said trick on friends and family.
Not exactly a creepy post (and I guess it isn’t exactly anyone’s nightmare to get lost in the library/bookstore, maybe?) but it is a gorgeous box and I had to post the unboxing. Plus it had two books! Starting from the top right corner and going clockwise:
- Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. This is a special edition cover and I am eager to read this book as I have heard good things about it.
- Owlcrate heart tea infuser. Absolutely cute, but not for me (why? because I am a tea nerd and prefer an infuser that fits almost any mug or teapot and lets the leaves move around freely). However, I do love they included one since there’s also some tea in the box.
- Owlcrate theme card and pin/badge. Loved the artwork for this one so much!
- Book Nerd socks, which coincidentially I am wearing as I write this post. They are soft, and comfortable and very bookish.
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Tea. It definitely tastes like a minty chocolate and it is actually refreshing as a tea.
- Books are a unique portable magic “clutch”. I love this little thing and have been keeping one of my crochet projects in it. It protects it well and is handy, plus it means the hook won’t disappear beyond the clutch.
- Pride, a remix of Pride & Prejudice, more in a modernised setting. I am intrigued and unsure what to expect.
- Mirror of Erised print (potentially the less interesting part of the box for me, but I am not a big fan of prints).
As you can see it was glorious and cosy and just right. I was actually glad that it wasn’t a “spooky” box as that sometimes can be too much and too many boxes doing it.
In case you didn’t know, I used to be subscribed to Owlcrate (I only missed out on their first 3 boxes) for a long time, but then I got a bit tired of it (at the time they were using very similar items/same shops in every single box). The nice thing is they’re much better now so I restarted it :).
Starting from the book and going clockwise:
- Mirage by Somaiya Daud. In an owlcrate exclusive cover that I have to admit I am loving so much!
- Theme magaizne/zine.
- A gorgeous ceramic mug (that looks like an enamel one, which for me is a MASSIVE win, enamel are perfect but difficutl to hold because heat!)
- A delightful bath soak that foams (win once again!)
- ADSOM Lila Bard print
- A nail polish from publisher to promote Grim Lovelies.
- Six of Crows fingerless mittens (they are gorgeous, love the button detail).
- Apple mint lip balm (this is always a welcome item in a book box as my bf steals them from me once it starts getting cooler/wintery).
- Theme card and pin.
I was delighted by this box so here I come for the next one!